Perfectly light and fluffy almond flour cake! A totally irresistible dessert that’s grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free. This simple cake comes together in one bowl, with only a handful of simple ingredients.
Can You Use Almond Flour For Cakes?
Yes, absolutely! Almond flour adds texture and flavor, and is loved by those following a paleo diet. Almond flour can be beneficial to someone looking to reduce their carbs, grains and sugar intake. Unlike wheat or rice flour blends, almond flour contains no grains so it won’t lead to a spike blood sugar.
What You’ll Need To Make Almond Flour Cake
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this almond flour cake. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card!
Eggs – Bring your eggs to room temperature before using them in this recipe. Then, crack them into your bowl and beat them until super light and airy. The goal here is to introduce as much air to the eggs as possible, which will result in a lighter and fluffier cake!
Almond Flour – I recommend the Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour for this grain-free recipe. The more finely ground the almond flour is, the lighter your cake will be. However, if you can’t find an almond flour labeled “super fine,” don’t worry – many are ground finely enough to work in this recipe. Also, avoid using almond meal, it’s heavier and will result in a more dense cake.
Lemon Zest – Let’s call is the secret ingredient! A pinch of lemon zest gives this almond flour cake a hint of tangy, citrus-y freshness. Without out, the cake tastes great, but with it, the cake tastes incredible. So if you’re looking to take this gluten-free dessert recipe up a notch, don’t forget the lemon zest.
Tips and Tricks When Making Almond Flour Cake
- Beat the eggs for a full 5 minutes, no less! Beating the eggs until pale and thick is hands-down the most important part of this recipe. No matter how tempting it may be, don’t cut this step short!
- For easy removal, I recommend baking this almond flour cake in a spring-form pan. Once done baking, gently run a butter knife along the inside edge of the pan to unstick it from the sides. Then, release the sides of the spring-form pan and list away the sides revealing your perfect cake!
- Top this gluten-free cake however you’d like! I finished mine off with a generous dollop of coconut white cream and some fresh berries. This cake would also taste great with your favorite frosting, or a simple sprinkling of powdered sugar!
- If you like cinnamon, try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter.
Adjust This Almond Flour Cake Recipe To Your Dietary Needs
- Make it Paleo: For a paleo almond cake recipe, replace the white sugar with coconut sugar!