Here are the 5 smoothie recipes I make constantly! They’re SUPER healthy, incredibly delicious, and come together in only a few minutes. These healthy smoothies are the perfect quick, easy, and portable breakfast or snack!
How to Make a (Delicious) Smoothie
- Pick your frozen fruits. Every smoothie recipe starts with a curated selection of frozen fruit. The frozen fruit is what you’ll taste the most of in your smoothie, so make sure it’s a combination you’ll love!
- Add in some healthy fats. Now that you have your fruit, it’s time to round the nutrition out with a bit of healthy fats. Healthy fats will slow the digestion of the naturally occurring sugar in fruit, which will stabilize your blood sugar and provide you with a long-term source of energy to get you through the morning! My favorite healthy fats for smoothies are unsweetened almond butter, avocado, or hemp seeds.
- Consider adding fresh or frozen vegetables. Depending on which vegetable you choose to add to your smoothie, you most likely won’t be able to taste it at all! Spinach is always a great addition, yielding very little flavor yet TONS of nutrients. Or, steamed then frozen cauliflower is a perfect way to not only add nutrients to a smoothie, but helps to thicken it up as well.
- Give it a boost with protein and/or powdered superfoods. I prefer unsweetened, unflavored, and plant-based protein in my smoothie recipes. However, feel free to use whichever protein powder is your favorite! Though in my chocolate peanut butter protein smoothie recipe, I highly recommend the Aloha Chocolate Protein Powder – it’s so darn good.
- Select a liquid to blend. Any liquid will work! Water or milk will yield the least flavor, allowing the fruit to shine. Or, you can use juice for an even sweeter and fruitier smoothie if you’d like.
I’ve owned many blenders in my day, though these two have stood out the most:
- Vitamix: I know …she’s expensive, but boy is she incredible! I purchase a refurbished Vitamix a few years ago after saving up for one. And let me tell ya, it was worth EVERY penny. There’s nothing the Vitamix can’t blend, it’s truly the most powerful blender on the market. So if you’re looking to splurge, the Vitamix is definitely the blender for you!
- Nutribullet: The nutribullet is great for everyday use! It takes up very little counter space, and is super easy to clean. I had my first nutribullet for almost 10 years before it eventually died on me. And that was after daily use in a four-person household! Also, the larger cup is enough to blend up to two serving sizes. I really can’t recommend the nutribullet enough, it’s fairly priced and comes with a one year warranty.
Turn Any Smoothie Into a Smoothie Bowl
Turn any of the below smoothie recipes into a smoothie bowl! It’s seriously so easy, all you’ll need to do is start with half the amount of liquid listed in the recipe. Then, continue to add more liquid as needed or until it’s perfectly thick and smooth. Once smooth, transfer your smoothie to a bowl and top with some fresh fruit, a handful of granola, and maybe even a scoop of almond or peanut butter!