This super easy method to make gluten-free baked tortilla chips at home will have you skipping a trip to the store for the bagged version! With just a hint of lime, these chips are perfectly seasoned and dip well in virtually anything. These gluten-free baked tortilla chips are also much healthier than their deep-fried counterparts.
The Story Behind This Recipe
Not going to lie here, I’m a BIG bagged chip girl. I love a good bag of extra salty potato chips, and that will never change. But when it came to tortilla chips, I’ve always been picky. Trader Joe’s has the best bagged tortilla chips in my opinion, they’re perfectly crispy with a hint of lime. And those were the inspiration behind these gluten-free baked tortilla chips. They taste just as good as the TJ’s ones, but are baked, making them way healthier! These chips taste great with literally EVERYthing. Hummus? YUM. Salsa? Duh! Guacamole? YES PLZ. My next venture will be turning these gluten-free baked tortilla chips into gluten-free and dairy-free nachos! Oh boy, I’m drooling already.
What You Need To Make Gluten-Free Tortilla Chips
Corn Tortillas – Corn tortillas are the gluten-free alternative to flour tortillas. They also yield an incredibly crispy texture once baked, making them just perfect for this recipe!
Spray Cooking Oil – Feel free to use olive or avocado oil instead, but spray cooking oil will make your life a whole lot easier. Simply give the tortillas a quick spritz of oil then continue on with the recipe.
Lime Juice – This ingredient is totally optional, but totally recommended. Lime juice is how we make these gluten-free baked tortilla chips taste like those ones from Trader Joe’s that I was talking about earlier. There’s something about a little lime drizzled over a salty chip that makes it completely irresistible.
How To Make Gluten-Free Tortilla Chips
- Start by slicing corn tortillas into triangles (aka into the shape of tortilla chips).
- Then, line them up in a single layer on a baking sheet. It’s important that you do not overcrowd your baking sheet with parchment paper, otherwise your chips won’t be as crispy.
- Either spray or drizzle the tortilla triangles with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, and finish off with a drizzling of lime juice. Feel free to add any other seasonings you’d like in this step!
- Transfer the tortillas to an oven set at 375° Fahrenheit and bake them for at least 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, check your tortilla triangles to see if they’re nice and golden brown all over. If they’re not completely golden brown, continue baking for a few more minutes.
- Lastly, remove the gluten-free baked tortilla chips from the oven and let them cool on a baking sheet for 30 minutes. The chips won’t be super crispy when you remove them from the oven, but they will continue to crisp up as they cool! Do not cut the cooling time short, use the full 30 minutes before serving.