This vegan baked mac and cheese recipe is made with a dairy-free “cheese” sauce and topped with a delicious panko breadcrumb topping that is perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner.
MMM, mac and cheese is one of my favorite comfort meals. Even though this isn’t the classic Kraft mac and cheese dish you might have had growing up, it sure is healthier and tastes even better! If you’re searching for last-minute dinner inspiration, this vegan mac and cheese dish is a perfect option.
MAIN Ingredients Needed TO MAKE This Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Macaroni – Make sure to get 12 ounces. If you’re following this vegan recipe, use gluten-free noodles.
- For the “Cheese” Sauce – you’ll need to grab a whole bunch of different ingredients to create a “cheese-like” sauce:
- Olive oil
- Yellow Onion
- Russet Potatoes – make sure you peel and chop them!
- Garlic Cloves
- Onion Powder
- Vegetable Broth
- Milk (non-dairy) – Use any plant based milk variety of your choice.
- Nutritional Yeast (see tips) – This is an amazing ingredient for adding a cheesy flavor to the sauce!
- Dijon Mustard
- Lemon Juice
- Breadcrumbs – My usual go-to is Panko breadcrumbs.
TIPS ON MAKING Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese
- If you are not dairy-free, you can sub ½ cup of cheddar cheese (or any cheese you’d like) in place of nutritional yeast for a lightened up/veggie-packed mac & cheese. If using cheese, do not incorporate in the blender, instead add it into a pot with the sauce over low heat until the cheese melts, turn off the heat and add in your cooked pasta.