This delicious Apple Crisp Without Oats recipe is a vegan and gluten-free take on a timeless classic. With a crumb topping that’s easy and quick to prepare and full of flavors from brown sugar and cinnamon, this makes for an irresistible fall dessert!
One of the best things about fall is that it’s apple season! The key to this recipe is that there are no oats in the topping, just flour, brown sugar and pecans. Oats are great, but sometimes a simple streusel-like crumb texture is nice to have. Not only is this delicious recipe easy to prepare, but it’s also made with simple ingredients. Most of which are pantry staples!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE APPLE CRISP WITHOUT OATS
- Apples – Get apples that are best for baking. I used gala apples this time, but honeycrisp or good ol’ granny smith apples will work perfectly too!
- Brown Sugar / Cinnamon – Brown sugar and cinnamon adds incredible flavor and aroma to this recipe. Wouldn’t be the same without it!
- Pecans/Walnuts – Chopped nuts like walnuts and pecans adds a perfect crispness to the topping. You can also add raisins or dried cranberries.
- Gluten-Free Flour – I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour, though if you’re not gluten-free, you can easily sub all purpose flour for the gluten-free flour in this recipe.
ADJUST THIS APPLE CRISP WITHOUT OATS RECIPE TO YOUR DIET
- Add Gluten: Use all purpose flour instead of gluten-free flour in this recipe.
- Add Dairy: Use regular butter in this recipe if not vegan or dairy-free.
TIPS FOR MAKING APPLE CRISP
- Slice the apples fairly thin. Anywhere around 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thin will work perfectly in this recipe. Don’t overdo it though – you don’t want them falling apart during the baking process because they’re too thin.
- Substitute pears for apples. If you want to try something different, or if you just aren’t a fan of apples, pears are a great substitute.
- While this dessert is pretty sweet in and of itself, I love adding a scoop of ice cream on top. It makes an amazing addition to the cinnamon/brown sugar flavor.