Skip the delivery and try this vegan and gluten-free version of the classic Indian dish known as tikka masala that uses tofu in place of meat! Serve over freshly steamed basmati rice and garlic naan for a complete Indian spiced dish.
Tikka masala is surprisingly easy to make vegan! Instead of meat, I used tofu, which works perfectly in this dish since it soaks up all the delicious spices and flavors in this recipe. The sauce is creamy, tangy and spicy, but not hot or overbearing.
And what’s an Indian meal without spice?! You’ll notice my list of ingredients have a handful of them. So, if you enjoy spicy foods, your taste buds are definitely going to enjoy the turmeric, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper and paprika found in this dish.
Tikka Masala Overview
Just in case you’ve never come across Tikka Masala before, I wanted to give a quick overview of what it means.
Tikka masala is an Indian dish consisting of roasted marinated chicken chunks in spiced curry sauce.
- The “tikka” refers to the protein. The most common ingredient used is chicken, but it varies. Some people like to use lamb instead. For my recipe, we skip the meat altogether and replace it with tofu.
- The “masala” translates as “spice mix” and refers to the sauce. Most include a tomato base, garam masala and a creamy element like yogurt or, in this case, coconut milk.
MAIN INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala
- Tofu – Make sure to buy the extra firm kind.
- Olive Oil
- Garam Masala, Cumin, Tumeric & Cayenne Pepper – Mix these with a few other spices in the recipe to create a spicy and tangy flavor.
- Tomato Sauce – A common pantry item, this is going to be the base for the sauce.
- Coconut Milk – I use full-fat coconut milk for the sauce, which makes this dish super rich and creamy without needing to rely on any dairy.
ADJUST THIS RECIPE TO YOUR DIET
- Need a little less spice? You can adjust the amount of spices to suit your heat preference, or leave it out all together for a non-spicy tikka masala dish.
- Dairy: You can try using yogurt, a heavy creamer or regular milk in place of the coconut milk.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe
- Serve with basmati rice and naan (a popular Indian flatbread) for a complete meal.